#BritishFlowers hour – Monday 14th November 2016
This week’s #britishflowers hour was all about top tips for effective planning when growing. The hour was hosted by Sara Willman (@myflowerpatch) and Lara Smith (@MFCFlowers), with notes by Jess Streeter (@SussexRoses).
Some top tips that were suggested include:
- Get yourself a page-a-day diary for recording information to help you with next year.
- If the structure of a diary concerns you opt for a scrapbook.
- Keeping all photos (good and bad!) as means you can look back and see what was flowering when and what worked and what didn’t.
- Voice memos on phone is photographs and notes aren’t for you.
- Weekly video diary – Holme Flowers do this well!
- Do an end of season review – what grew well, what didn’t, what to plant more/less of.
- Establish what ground is available with the right growing conditions, soil/aspect, polytunnel/greenhouse space.
- Keep a record of the number of hours a task takes, if you had any help doing it etc – helps plan for next year.
- Draw a bed plan: map what goes where and helps with crop rotation.
- Instagram can be a useful tool as a type of ‘photo a day’ idea.
- For your seed labels use HB pencil or Staedtler black as most others fade.
Next week’s chat will be on floral transportation hosted by @flowerpotpolly and @thepatientmole, do join us!