Flower Farmers' Big Weekend - going virtual on 14th August

Article Published By Flowers From The Farm on Jul 30 2020

     

    Our Flower Farmers’ Big Weekend goes digital on 14-16 August as our UK membership increases under lockdown by 10% to 880 growers. 

    ● The Flower Farmers’ Big Weekend is a 3-day virtual open flower farm festival that showcases the art and craft of artisan flower farming

    ●  Free daily online programme of flower farm tours, insider tips, techniques & Flower Farmers’ Question Time

     

    The Flower Farmers’ Big Weekend is going digital on 14-16 August, inviting you  behind the scenes of the award-winning Flowers from the Farm movement to meet the independent, artisan growers of scented, seasonal British cut flowers.

    Each day, in a collection of exclusive videos for the Flower Farmers’ Big Weekend online on our event website  and on social media, expert flower farmers from across the UK reveal specific aspects of the art and craft of growing cut flowers for market, guide us around their flower-filled plots and share the secret to their flower farming success. The five central themes are: The Basics, From Plot to Vase, Flower Focus, Top Tips and Plot Stories.  See what's on

    Questions posted online from budding flower farmers are debated in the daily sessions of ‘Flower Farmers’ Question Time’, whilst hundreds more growers are joining the festival by posting clips and images from their diverse plots across social media with the hashtag #flowerfarmersbigweekend

    Join us in calling  on people to learn more about the provenance of their cut flowers, and to support their local flower growers by buying British. Although starting to show signs of increased market share, British-grown still account for only 14% of cut flowers sold in the UK, whilst the remaining 86% have been hothoused in Holland or flown in from as far afield as Kenya, Ethiopia, Ecuador and Colombia.

    If it inspires you to realise a long-held dream of becoming a flower farmer, Flowers from the Farm offers a supportive, collaborative, informative network of 880 active flower farmers.  Our membershiphas risen by a staggering 65% over the past two years, and by 10% during lockdown alone.

    The short films recorded for the Flower Farmers’ Big Weekend will demonstrate that you don’t need a farm to be a flower farmer. The videos showcase flower businesses thriving in cities as well as the countryside, on owned and rented plots such as cutting gardens, allotments, walled gardens, market gardens and smallholdings as well as farms.

    We aim to build awareness of the virtues of locally-grown flowers and develop a network of British cut flower growers across the country.

    Flowers from the Farm members offer seasonal flowers:

    ●  that you won’t find in supermarkets

    ●  that are freshly picked from a local field

    ●  of garden-style informal beauty and fragrance

    ●  that involve zero air miles and a fraction of the travel miles

     

    We look forward to sharing our excitement about British grown flowers with you from 14-16th August, with behind the scenes access to our members' plots on our public facebook page from 10th August.

    This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies.